Canticle & Juniper Courts is based on community life. We offer many activities for our residents to become involved in. Some of the more popular things our residents do include:
- Knitting Club
- Library Access
- Card Games
- Puzzle Making
- Wii Bowling
There are also many activities and happenings on the grounds that the residents may chose to participate in including:
- Earth Day & Earth Echoes Project, visit the Facebook page by clicking here
- Wine & Vine, Celebrating the 100 year old grape arbor, the 2014 event is scheduled for Saturday, August 23, 2014, from 4pm-8pm. For ticket and event information, visit the Wine & Vine website by clicking here
- Honey Harvest, The first honey from the beehives on the Motherhouse property was harvested on Thursday, August 23, 2012. Charlie the Bee Man pulled the chambers from the hives and brought them inside for the harvest process. The first step was to have the wax surface, created by the bees, removed from both sides of the combs in the chambers. Once the wax coating was carefully lifted off with a special fork, the shiny surfaces of the honey ranged in color from deep brown to golden yellow. Next the exposed honey comb chambers were inserted into a container that could be spun with a crank, removing the honey from the combs by centrifugal force. The honey was then drained from the container through a sieve to remove bits of wax and other small particles from the honey. From there, jars were filled with the finished product.
- Pet Blessing, The fifth annual pet blessing was held at the St. Francis Grotto on the Motherhouse grounds on Saturday, September 28, 2013. Fathers Scott Wallenfelz, SDS, and Dennis Thiessen, SDS, officiated, blessing each animal individually. Over 80 people, 50 dogs and 3 cats were blessed. Pet owners received a St. Francis prayer card and medal, and each pet was sprinkled with holy water and received a personal prayer. The blessing is offered in observance of the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi, known as the patron of all living creatures.
- Pie and Prayer: On Sunday, November 10th we offered the last Franciscan Pie and Prayer for the Fall semester. The event kicked off giving tours of the motherhouse. With a great inter-generational turn-out, we reflected on Nov.17th Gospel led by Sr. Ann Kelley. After, we had wonderful conversation with cherry, French Silk, and pumpkin pie, as well as apple bars made by Sr. Laverne Sommer. Following was Franciscan Adoration and Benediction in the St. Francis , 118 year old Chapel. Our singers were Natasha and Ghen, who lent beautiful harmony to the reflection time. Thank you all for joining us and we hope to see you starting in February. Dates coming soon!